Saturday, November 14, 2009

Viva Las Biodome!

I learnt two very important things today when travelling to visit the Montreal Biodome:

1. I really need to buy an umbrella.
2. I definitely need a better camera!

That aside, it was a fantastic afternoon. I had originally intended on walking to the top of Mont-Royal today but one look at the weather outside this morning confirmed that I needed to find an indoor activity.

I've been unconsciously avoiding doing "Tourist" type activities since arriving here - probably out of a desire not to appear like a tourist! But today I thought screw it! I am a tourist at the moment - i'm still on holiday for a little while longer so I have every right to do tourist things! I scoured the web for something interesting to do and came across the website for Biodome de Montreal (http://www2.ville.montreal.qc.ca/biodome/site/site.php?langue=en)

I recommend anyone intending on reading the rest of this entry should probably visit the website. I'll try to explain the concept and setup of the Biodome but I fear I won't do it justice. In short, the Biodome is a fully enclosed and operational habitat with 5 distinct regions and/or ecosystems. It's quite a unique concept (in my experience at least) as each zone is very authentic, including the climate. As you walk into the Tropical Forest, the first zone after entering, the humidity and temperature increases instantly and feels as real as the trees and animals.

The main attraction in the different zones is of course the animals. But this isn't an ordinary zoo - the animals are in as close to their natural habitat as is possible outside of the wild. A lot of zoos that I have visited have adopted this type of exhibit design - and some (Like Monarto in South Australia or Werribee in Victoria) have created huge open areas where animals like Elephants and Lions can exist in natural habitats rather than cages. I suppose the difference here is that the focus is on creating the ecosystem, rather than focusing on the animals. Everything from earthworms to fish and birds all co-exist within their appropriate zone - as I said before, have a look at the website to get a more detailed understanding of how everything is structured.

Despite my poor performing and temperamental camera, I did manage to get a few videos worthy of uploading:



















Also got a few piccies for those interested:






















I would recommend that anyone visiting the Montreal area should make a trip out to the Biodome - particularly if the weather is inclement as everything is indoors. Cost of entry is $16.00 for an Adult Tourist or $13.50 for an adult resident of Quebec - discounts apply for children, seniors and students.

If you are travelling by public transport, simply take the Green line on the Metro towards Honore'-Beaugrand and get off at Viau station. Walk outside and you can't miss it!


No comments: